boghunden

Angela Carter
Armada
Ernest Cline

The Complete Maus

The Complete Maus - Art Spiegelman This was a very interesting read, but somehow very depressing.

I read this in Danish, and the writing style was very annoying. "Den mand, den hus, den vej, den skole." 'Den, den, den,' all the time! I think it would have been much better in English, although I have no idea if that's correct or not. I was told there'd be a lot of humor in this book, but I don't think so. To me, it wasn't humor as much as it was sarcasm. It was really sarcastic, and I loved that.

The illustrations are very dark, but that goes fine with the theme of this book. I wasn't too fond of the drawing style, but it didn't really matter that much, since the story was the important part here.

This book has two storylines; one that takes place during WW2 and one that takes place "now" (1980's). This worked very well for me, and I had a hard time deciding on which one I liked the most.

With another writing and drawing style, this book would probably have gained another star. I'd also have liked to be a bit more invested in the story than I was. I don't know, it just needed that little extra something.

A good read though.